According to reports in Brazil, Liverpool and Fluminese are set to finalise negotiations regarding the sale of goalkeeper Marcelo Pitaluga as per UOL.
The Premier League champions are set to make Pitaluga the long-term heir to FIFA Goalkeeper of the Year Alisson Becker at Anfield with the player’s family reportedly keen on the move to Merseyside.
For the second summer in a row, Liverpool’s transfer priorities are focussed on fresh-faced talents to bolster the club’s propositions for the future as opposed to the standard blockbuster additions other rivals have added.
The latest Brazilian reports are that conversations have been ongoing over the past few days as contractual issues regarding add-ons are discussed with the teenage shot-stopper expected to close in on the deal next week.
Globo Esparto recently reported that Liverpool were in talks with South American giants Fluminese and have even offered Pitaluga’s father a job on Merseyside in an attempt to sweeten the deal.
UOL recently confirmed that Liverpool have been chasing the 17-year-old goalkeeper for a while with a view to make Pitalugo the eventual successor to Alisson.
The teenager is currently the fourth-choice goalkeeper for his club side and he was on the bench when Brazil U17s won the U17 World Cup in 2019.
Given his young age, the fact Pitaluga is the fourth choice at one of the biggest football enterprises in South America suggests the youngster is a potential future superstar and vindicates why Liverpool are determined to get the deal wrapped up soon.
What RTK has to say
Liverpool aren’t exactly short of young goalkeeping options at the club with the likes of Caoimhin Kelleher and Kamil Grabara both highly rated among the club’s hierarchy.
Javi Cendon, the former Villarreal prospect, has also been on the club’s books in recent weeks following an extended trial period during Liverpool’s pre-season tour of Austria.
The fact Liverpool and Pitaluga are linked typifies the club’s status as one of the great juggernauts in world football and why Liverpool cannot afford to rest on their laurels and be complacent with what they already have.
Liverpool’s interest in the teenager represents the club reducing the risk of complacency and demonstrates that the club are always on the lookout for the best.
Pitaluga will benefit from training alongside arguably the best goalkeeper in world football both at club level and internationally if his move to Anfield is to be completed as reports indicate they will.
Liverpool are always forward-thinking and the fact the club are thinking of success beyond Jurgen Klopp’s 2024 contract expiration date which is great sign that this winning feeling for supporters will not be dying down anytime soon.
- Liverpool’s summer priority will be Georgino Wijnaldum’s contract situation
- Jurgen Klopp will rely on Fabinho more than anyone next season
- Andy Robertson hopes Messi stays away from PL amid Man City interest
- Photo: Liverpool stars pictured in training following quadruple injury boost
- Joe Gomez and Raheem Sterling to reunite with England for first time since bust-up
- Mason Mount lauds Liverpool target Thiago Alcantara
- Harry Wilson could finally get his desired Liverpool opportunity
- Report: Liverpool ‘braced’ for opening bid from Barcelona for Wijnaldum
- Why Liverpool have made limited transfer dealings this summer
- Four signings that could make Liverpool unbeatable next season
- Billy Koumetio shows why Liverpool debut could be realistic in 20/21