Some Liverpool supporters have taken to Twitter to praise the returning Joel Matip following an impressive performance for Jurgen Klopp’s side as the Reds wrapped up their 2020/21 pre-season programme in style following an emphatic win.
The Premier League champions welcomed home a familiar face in the form of former Liverpool under-23’s manager Neil Critchley who brought his Blackpool side to Anfield.
Liverpool ran out comfortable 7-2 winners, although there were early alarm bells after the visitors went two goals to the good just after the 30 minute mark.
The Reds quickly made amends to their early demons and it was Matip who inspired a remarkable comeback upon his first match since August after plummeting a header home just before the break.
Liverpool were poetic and on song in the second-half as six goals after the interval followed for Klopp’s team. Sadio Mane and Roberto Firmino got the hosts up-and-running with two quickfire goals to fire the Reds into the lead for the first time of the afternoon.
Subscribe to Rousing The Kop TV now
Harvey Elliott came off the bench to score his first senior goal for the club after replacing Mohamed Salah on the hour mark before Divock Origi also got on the scoresheet with a cool finish.
Takumi Minamino also continued his fine form in pre-season with yet another goal before Sepp van den Berg netted the seventh from close range.
While many of Liverpool’s English champions earned deserved plaudits following a fitting finale to successful pre-season, Matip came in for special praise and some supporters believe the Cameroonian centre-back has staked a claim to start against Leeds next weekend.
Here are a selection of responses following yet another Matip masterclass for Liverpool..
I think he’s better than Gomez but we should be easing him back in so I would still start Gomez over him for now
— Shlong 🇮🇪🇦🇹 (@xxxtenpentagons) September 5, 2020
Matip and Virgil are Liverpools best cetre back partnership. Gomez is quicker but prone to mistakes. Joel is very assured and reads the game well. Excellent passer of the ball and also pops up with the odd goal.
— Jowee 🇿🇼 (@zigitup) September 5, 2020
Matip and Gomez are on par in defence. We need both to partner with Virgil depends on the matches. Some matches need speed CBs and some need aerial CBs. Virgil can do both.
— Mo Hakeem (@HakeemHatta) September 5, 2020
Always world class whenever he plays.
— GusandSaM (@GusandSaM) September 5, 2020
He should start against Leeds
— Mohammad Hajjir (@Jotaldo0) September 5, 2020
he’s great and should start more often
— Scorsese Fish (@ScorseseFish) September 5, 2020
In my opinion would be the starter with virgil
— LFC Fan Zone (@LFCFanZone_1892) September 5, 2020
- Liverpool’s summer priority will be Georgino Wijnaldum’s contract situation
- Jurgen Klopp will rely on Fabinho more than anyone next season
- Andy Robertson hopes Messi stays away from PL amid Man City interest
- Photo: Liverpool stars pictured in training following quadruple injury boost
- Joe Gomez and Raheem Sterling to reunite with England for first time since bust-up
- Mason Mount lauds Liverpool target Thiago Alcantara
- Harry Wilson could finally get his desired Liverpool opportunity
- Report: Liverpool ‘braced’ for opening bid from Barcelona for Wijnaldum
- Why Liverpool have made limited transfer dealings this summer
- Four signings that could make Liverpool unbeatable next season
- Billy Koumetio shows why Liverpool debut could be realistic in 20/21