A certain midfielder linked with a move to Liverpool this summer whose name is not Thiago Alcantara has been told he is free to move this transfer window.
Boubakary Soumare was first linked with Liverpool by The Mail which claimed Jurgen Klopp was ready to rival Manchester United for the signature of the France Under-21 international.
This was back in April, and since then things have gone pretty quiet. Soumare is still available.
Free to leave
Lille president Gerard Lopez this week told Telefoot, reported GFFN:“The door is open if he wants to leave, but for the others (Sanches and Araujo) we will have to discuss. We have had important offers from clubs where he did not want to go. All three parties have to agree for a transfer to occur.
“He’s quite impatient to play & that’s normal. It shows ambition. He will undoubtedly leave the club, the door is open. We have concrete offers. We will talk in the coming days.”
Newcastle United made a deadline day move for Soumare back in January, having a £35 million bid accepted only to be turned down by the player himself [BBC].
Is this a deal worth pursuing?
Given Liverpool have been touted with a move for Thiago Alcantara, this would seem an obscure prospect that the Reds would be in the market for two potential midfield targets.
More tellingly, Soumare functions best typically as a defensive midfielder and Liverpool already have arguably the best player in the Premier League in that particular position.
So far this transfer window, Liverpool have kept their cards pretty close to the chest in terms of viable targets. The club have made just one solitary addition following the signing of Kostas Tsimikas from Olympiacos.
It is unlikely that Liverpool will look to add another defensive option in the midfield given Jurgen Klopp has two ready-made options in the form of Fabinho and Jordan Henderson.
Soumare, 21, has barely featured for Lille in their opening two matches of Ligue 1 this season, limited to just eight minutes of playing time.
During the 2019/20 campaign, Soumare clocked up 30 appearances, including six in the Champions League before the season was eventually curtailed in March.
Liverpool could look to strike a deal if they were thinking ahead to the future and deemed a deal financially as a viable option.
Klopp is contracted to the club until 2024 so there is every possibility the club will already building the next block of generational talents to potentially walkout at Anfield in the future.
Unfortunately for Soumare, Liverpool’s stance this summer has remained consistent – the club are not willing to spend heavily unless funds are suddenly made available.
If Soumare wants a Liverpool move, he is likely going to have to be patient, potentially staying at Lille another year in an attempt get the Reds’ attention once again next summer where the financial dynamic may have changed for Liverpool and Klopp in 2021.
- Liverpool’s summer priority will be Georgino Wijnaldum’s contract situation
- Jurgen Klopp will rely on Fabinho more than anyone next season
- Andy Robertson hopes Messi stays away from PL amid Man City interest
- Photo: Liverpool stars pictured in training following quadruple injury boost
- Joe Gomez and Raheem Sterling to reunite with England for first time since bust-up
- Mason Mount lauds Liverpool target Thiago Alcantara
- Harry Wilson could finally get his desired Liverpool opportunity
- Report: Liverpool ‘braced’ for opening bid from Barcelona for Wijnaldum
- Why Liverpool have made limited transfer dealings this summer
- Four signings that could make Liverpool unbeatable next season
- Billy Koumetio shows why Liverpool debut could be realistic in 20/21