Liverpool’s interest in central defender Ben White was short-lived following the player’s decision to extend his contract at the Amex Stadium.
😁 Ben White has agreed a new four-year contract with Albion, running to June 2024! ✍️ #BHAFC 🔵⚪️
— Brighton & Hove Albion (@OfficialBHAFC) September 1, 2020
However, are the Reds missing a trick by not considering a potential alternative in Ligue 1 who is attracting a lot of attention in recent weeks?
Two goals in two games is a respectable return for any aspiring striker let alone for a defender.
Therefore, it isn’t surprising that Premier League interest is beginning to materialise for Monaco defender Benoit Badiashile.
RMC Sport claimed last week that Monaco had rejected a bid in the region of £22 million for Badiashile after the French outfit deemed their valuation to be closer to double that figure.
James Pearce of The Athletic confirmed recently that White was of the interest to Liverpool who are in the market for another central defender following the departure of Dejan Lovren.
Badiashile is not only a younger alternative to White but he could also be cheaper if Liverpool are able to negotiate a deal.
No wonder there is such a fuss currently in the market for Badiashile who got off the mark during his inaugural Ligue 1 bout of the campaign against Reims last week.
Badiashile quickly followed that up by scoring the winner against Metz with a strike of the highest order after he volleyed the ball into the net following a deflection that fell the defender’s way via a set-piece.
He is an opposing and physical central defender that rarely is beaten in the air. It could be a viable solution given his age and how quickly he has emerged onto the scene.
Off the back of Saturday’s evidence at Wembley, another central defender certainly wouldn’t go a miss. Seeing Fabinho forced to partner Virgil van Dijk at the back was an unwelcomed sight amongst Liverpool supporters and calls to the notion that an addition in the defensive department wouldn’t go a miss.
Liverpool will likely have a number of scouts drawing a list of potential suitors for the Reds and it is incredibly possible that Jurgen Klopp could have Badiashile on his list of potential targets despite the club not yet identified with a reported interest.
Making a case
Benoit Badiashile: Factfile
- Badiashile plays in Ligue 1 for Monaco and has clocked up 20 starts for the French outfit last season.
He also registered the same number of starts in 2018/19.
- He is just 19-years-old and has represented France at international level from under-16 level to U19s.
- Badiashile was recently nominated for Europe’s Golden Boy Award, along with Liverpool’s Trent Alexander-Arnold
He made shortlist of 100, but was not included in the final 60.
- He stands tall at an opposing 6ft 4in
This advantage helped him boast an impressive average of 3.5 aerial duels per game this season according to WhoScored.
- Badiashile signed a contract extension with Monaco last December.
His deal now runs through until June 2024 which does hand Monaco an advantage when it comes to negotiating price.
- Four signings that could make Liverpool unbeatable next season
- Billy Koumetio shows why Liverpool debut could be realistic in 20/21
- Trent Alexander-Arnold pictured in training after missing Liverpool pre-season
- Liverpool linked with interest in Celtic defender Kristoffer Ajer
- Liverpool linked with interest in RB Salzburg striker Patson Daka
- Donny van de Beek’s Man United deal will not effect Liverpool’s Thiago stance
- Virgil van Dijk gives his opinion on reported Man United Van de Beek deal
- Reaction to reports that Sadio Mane could leave Liverpool
- Liverpool confirm signing of teenage trio among nine first-year scholars