Liverpool’s Georginio Wijnaldum is reportedly ‘relaxed’ regarding his Anfield future amid his ongoing contract uncertainty.
Wijnaldum, 29, has just one year remaining on his current deal and despite potentially leaving the club on a free next season, neither Liverpool nor the player himself are concerned at this moment in time.
According to Sky Sports, there are currently no talks or negotiations regarding a contract extension but the report claims Wijnaldum ‘will continue to give 100 per cent’ during Liverpool’s title defence next season.
The Netherland’s international has been described by staff as an ‘incredible person’ and is regarded as indispensable by his manager Jurgen Klopp.
Wijnaldum was utilised in midfield more than any other Liverpool player and his sustained brilliance in the team have been pivotal to both Champions League and Premier League successes over the previous 14 months.
Despite talks currently at a stand-off, the report did claim that a new deal could be offered to Wijnaldum sooner rather than later. The fact that neither party is at the table negotiating does not suggest Liverpool are willing to sell the Dutchman.
Wijnaldum – who currently earns £75,000-a-week according to Spotrac – may be approaching 30, but the player’s durability and physical prowess suggest he is more than capable of being a mainstay in this Liverpool team for the next three-four years.
Liverpool have already seen Adam Lallana leave the club following his move to Brighton. The idea of the Reds letting go of another senior star and with that their most consistent midfield performer over the previous two seasons would be totally absurd.
Klopp is spoilt for choice in midfield in terms of options yet he has entrusted Wijnaldum in both of Liverpool’s trophy-winning campaigns above any other squad member.
He has been paramount to the club’s recent success and more importantly, he is considered just as fundamental in Liverpool’s hopes of riches in the future.
- Why Liverpool’s managerial plans point to Julian Nagelsmann
- Three players directly affected by latest Liverpool Thiago links
- Thiago and Liverpool will not be a straightforward affair
- Gini Wijnaldum and Liverpool is the breakup nobody wants to see
- Making a case for Ismaila Sarr to become Liverpool’s latest success story
- Liverpool’s midfield options oppose flaws in Thiago links
- Liverpool’s £175 million payout will not alter club’s transfer priorities
- How Liverpool may look to utilise Kostas Tsimikas next season