Well, that was disappointing. Liverpool were the masters of their own downfall at the Emirates Stadium after they were beaten 2-1 by Arsenal.
Two catastrophic defensive mistakes ultimately cost the English champions after Sadio Mane had put the Reds on the 20-minute mark.
Alexandre Lacazette and Reiss Nelson exploited two transgressions from the most unexpected sources as Virgil van Dijk and Alisson Becker were both capable of making mistakes that led to goals.
With two matches remaining, Liverpool can no longer surpass 100 points and break the all-time points record. Jurgen Klopp’s champions still can amass 99 points – a club record.
Liverpool players are trying to stay positive with Dutch duo Van Dijk and Georginio Wijnaldum sending messages after the match finished.
Van Dijk had an extremely rare night off after gift-wrapping Arsenal’s opener following a poor backpass that was swept up by Lacazette.
Wijnaldum also had a quiet game by his standards, and even though he was regularly in possession, the 29-year-old just couldn’t find a pass to break through Arsenal lines.
Liverpool quickly need to rediscover their winning-mentality if they are to end as strongly as possible and take some momentum into next season’s title defence.
The champions will be presented their overdue Premier League trophy at Anfield next week and Klopp will be desperate that the celebrations will follow from a much-needed Liverpool victory.
- Virgil van Dijk gives immediate reaction following Liverpool’s defeat at Arsenal
- Arsenal 2-1 Liverpool Player Ratings – Reds miss out on history
- Jurgen Klopp holds firm regarding Liverpool’s transfer activity this summer
- Jurgen Klopp provides James Milner update
- Be open-minded regarding the future role of Takumi Minamino
- Neco Williams has proven he is a special player, yet he has the hardest task in football ahead of him
- Alexander-Arnold will thrive under guidence of Liverpool quartet to become the ultimate captain
- Predicted Liverpool line-up v Arsenal