Former Liverpool midfielder Steve McManaman has claimed that Borussia Dortmund forward Jadon Sancho would decline a move to Anfield – because he wouldn’t get in the starting line-up.

After speaking with HorseRacing.net, former Anfield icon McManaman said that Sancho would instead likely opt to join another European club who could guarantee more game-time.

Sancho, 19, has been previously touted [Independent] with a move to the home of the European champions with respected journalist Melissa Reddy stating ‘It would be utterly ridiculous’ for Liverpool not to be interested in the calibre of player such as the talented teenager but insists other factors such as cost and wages would have a  ‘knock-on effect on the rest of the squad’.

The England international has already clocked up 15 goals whilst boasting 16 assists this campaign, achieving a superb 31 goal contributions in just 28 appearances.

Sancho was the first player in Europe’s top five leagues – beating Lionel Messi – to register double figures for both goals and assists in 2019/20 – he also became the first teenager in Bundesliga history to reach 25 goals after netting against Hertha Berlin at the weekend.

A return back to the Premier League has long been on the cards, with champions-elect Liverpool one of the favourites to land the English wonderkid.

However, BT Sports pundit and commentator McManaman has played down the possibility of Jurgen Klopp adding Sancho to his Champions League-winning squad suggesting money and the former Manchester City star’s own desire to regularly play games which would rule out any possible move to Anfield.

“I think he’d prefer to go somewhere where he will start week-in and week-out,” he said. “I don’t think there’s any problem with that.

 

“The other thing is the cost implications; how much is he going to cost? No doubt, he’s an extremely bright prospect, he’s doing really well in Dortmund, he plays regularly and he’s a star there.

“Whether Liverpool would go for him now is something that I don’t know and if he was available, he’d command big money and I presume there are a number of clubs that would go for him.

“Jadon could cost £60-75million and that’s a lot of money for somebody that young, even though he looks a fantastic prospect.

“It’s a big outlay for a player and in all honesty Liverpool’s young players are all doing well themselves and Jurgen Klopp seems to want to give them a go.”

BREMEN, GERMANY – FEBRUARY 04: (BILD ZEITUNG OUT) Jadon Sancho of Borussia Dortmund looks on during the DFB Cup round of sixteen match between SV Werder Bremen and Borussia Dortmund at Wohninvest Weserstadion on February 4, 2020 in Bremen, Germany. (Photo by Max Maiwald/DeFodi Images via Getty Images)

What RTK has to say

McManaman and Reddy are both back on the money.

Liverpool are not about to alternate their core principles simply because the club are finally beginning to add silverware to the Anfield cabinet.

Superstars such as Sancho will undoubtedly command not just a gargantuan transfer fee but also huge wages. As Reddy previously stated, this would have a huge knock-on effect on the rest of Liverpool’s squad.

The club will not be in a hurry to disrupt player salaries by bringing in one of the most in-demand players in Europe.

The only scenario Liverpool could justify bringing in a player of Sacho’s ilk is if the Reds were to lose one of their pedigreed front three – a situation they are not expecting this summer with none of Sadio Mane, Mohamed Salah or Roberto Firmino showing any intent to exit – ruling out the prospect of a blockbuster attacking purchase.

Have something to tell us about this article?