Borussia Monchengladbach sporting director Max Eberl has confirmed that Liverpool target Thorgan Hazard wants to leave this summer.
DH claimed on Monday that the Reds have made a bid for Thorgan Hazard. Borussia Dortmund have reportedly been outbid by Liverpool who offered £36million.
Now, Borussia Monchengladbach sporting director has confirmed to the official club website that Hazard wants to leave at the end of the season.
He said: “We made our intentions to extend Thorgan’s contract clear a while back now, but he hasn’t reciprocated that interest.
“He has now told us that he doesn’t want to extend his contract and instead wants to take the next step in his career by leaving the club.
“Interested parties have to offer us a transfer fee that recognises his worth as an exceptional Bundesliga forward and a regular feature in one of the best national teams in the world.”
Hazard has scored 12 goals and provided nine assists this season and would be a fantastic player for Liverpool but he’s not exactly what is needed at Anfield.
Jurgen Klopp does need to add more depth and quality to his front line but what is more important is signing a playmaker that can operate centrally and between the lines.
A deal to sign Nabil Fekir last summer for £53million ultimately fell through but the Lyon skipper is exactly what is needed at Liverpool.
Fekir’s ability to score from outside the box, make late runs to meet crosses and provide loads of assists for teammates is something that has been missing since Philippe Coutinho left the club last year for £142million.
Hazard is a sublime player but is not what Liverpool need. One player from the Bundesliga that the Reds should be having a look at is Julian Brandt.
The German is tall and strong, capable of contributing with goals and assists and would take little to no time to get used to Jurgen Klopp’s style of play.
Only time will tell who Liverpool will move for this summer but a new number10 is the ultimate priority.