AS Monaco hint Liverpool target Thomas Lemar could be sold this month

1
Tottenham Hotspur FC v AS Monaco FC - UEFA Champions League
All rights reserved by Shaun Botterill/Getty Images

AS Monaco manager Leonardo Jardim has dropped a hint that the club may soften their stance over selling Thomas Lemar in January.

Philippe Coutinho has officially joined Barcelona in a deal worth £146 million – a British transfer record. With his departure, Liverpool are left in a situation where they need a player with creative talent to supply the likes of Mohamed Salah.

As much as I am a huge admirer of Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain and I believe Adam Lallana is a creative talent in his own right, neither English international is quite as good as Coutinho at spotting a run and picking out the final pass.

Liverpool need to sign someone like Lemar who is well-known for his link-up play in the final third and can chip in with goals of his own. Of course, the Frenchman has struggled for form this season with injuries affecting him but there is no denying his talent and the potential that can skyrocket in coming years.

Embed from Getty Images

It was just last week, however, that Lemar’s coach Jardim said that Monaco are “not in the habit” of selling their best players in the winter transfer window. This is understandable and should have been the stance Liverpool took up on the Coutinho matter.

Alas, the Brazilian is gone and now the Reds are in a sticky situation. Which is exactly why we are hanging onto every word that Leonardo Jardim utters and he’s only just gone and said something very curious.

Speaking at a press conference on Monday, Jardim was quoted by L’Equipe as saying: “We are not used to selling in the winter.

“But the transfer window lasts until the end of the month and many things can happen.”

Embed from Getty Images

Of course, this is all just guesswork and reading into what Jardim has said but there is precious little else to go on at the moment.

As things stand, Liverpool are not ready to move for Lemar and Arsenal are also tracking the 22-year-old with the Gunners long-term admirers.

What do you think, Reds? Should Liverpool chance their arm and make a bid this month or go with the squad available for the rest of the season?

SHARE
Michael Mongie
Just like you, I am a hugely passionate Liverpool supporter. I started Rousing the Kop in January 2015 and since then it has grown tremendously and has even been nominated as 'Best New Football Blog' in the Football Blogging Awards.

1 COMMENT

LEAVE A REPLY

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.