Liverpool target Timo Werner has spoken about his future after reports last week linked him with a move to Merseyside and he looks likely to stay at RB Leipzig for at least another season.
Leipzig’s energetic young forward was linked with a move to Liverpool last week after his impressive displays in the Bundesliga this season have drawn much attention from clubs across Europe.
Liverpool employ a very similar playing style to Leipzig in that both sides press high up the pitch and look to rob the opposition of the ball as early as possible. Werner’s initiative while leading from the front under Ralph Hasenhüttl has yielded 14 goals this season, with only one of those coming from the penalty spot.
And Werner has stressed that he is keen to continue with Leipzig, who have shocked many people in their emergence as one of the forces in the Bundesliga this season.
“I want to keep growing together with RB Leipzig and keep developing here,” he told Welt am Sonntag.
“I am still only 21 years old and still have plenty of years ahead of me.
“I am very happy at Leipzig. Joining this club has been a stroke of luck. I have found my way again under Ralph Hasenhuttl.”
Liverpool are also said to be interested in Werner’s highly talented teammate Naby Keita, who has often been the catalyst for great things at Leipzig this season. He has been compared to Chelsea’s N’Golo Kanté given his industrious style of play.
— Rousing The Kop (@RousingTheKop) March 20, 2017
It would be quite a feat to sing Keita given that Bayern Munich are reportedly interested in the Guinean workhorse. However, if it’s true that Leipzig only want £26 million for Keita, then Liverpool really shouldn’t miss out on signing him.